UPDATE: The Season Of Blood is over! Now we're all about that Season Of Time and its time-themed skins.
The Season of Blood is upon us in Mortal Kombat 11, and there are a nice set of prizes up for grabs. Even if you are an Apprentice rank in the game, you do not need to become an Elder God to reap the rewards. Here are all of the cosmetics that can be attained this season, which vary in how they are acquired, still there is something for everyone.
These will continue to award Time Krystals, and likely will continue to only require that you participate in matches every day. So even if you lose a lot, get those matches in without missing a single day!
Even if you cannot hit the highest ranks in the season, these challenges are almost all attainable by simply playing the game.
If for any reason you are not advancing in these quests, say for example with connecting Fatal Blows, that might be saying something about your playstyle, and that a change is needed overall.
Of course, if you are so skilled that you never drop low enough in health to activate the Fatal Blow, that is a different case entirely. Maybe you should consider letting your opponents hit you once or twice!
- Challenge: Connect 10 Fatal Blows - Reward: Victory Pose - Scorpion – Honor Bound
- Challenge: Connect 25 Throws - Reward: Gear - Kotal Kahn – Prowling Ocelot Sickles
- Challenge: Complete 10 ranked Daily Challenges - Reward: Brutality – Kung Lao – Beaten and Broken
- Challenge: Complete 15 Kombat League Sets - Reward: Gear – Gears – Tool of the Titans
- Challenge: Spill 10,000 Pints of Blood - Reward: Gear – Jax Briggs – Wrath of Jax
- Challenge: Complete all Season Challenges - Reward: Skin – Scorpion – Shirai Ryu Heart
Rank Rewards - Blood Red Skins
Now we get into the thick of things. These rewards are top-notch, consisting of cosmetic items and all types of currency including Koins, Soul Fragments, Hearts, and Time Krystals. Climbing from Apprentice to Elder God is likely to be everyone’s goal, and while that may not be possible for casual players, the good news is that players are awarded up to the highest tier that they reach, not where they finish at the end of the season. So do your best with the knowledge that once you reach a reward tier, you are guaranteed those items.
- Apprentice Rank: 100,000 Koins and Gear – Sub-Zero – Bambang Taio, unlock a skin for Kitana – Edenian Pulse
- Kombatant Rank: 500 Soul Fragments, Gear – Frost – Amazonia
- Warrior Rank: 500 Hearts, Gear – Jade - Rod of Emperor Onaga
- Champion Rank: 100 Time Krystals, Great – Noob Saibot – Han Ba, unlock a skin for Scarlet – Bewitched by Blood
- Master Rank: 200 Time Krystals, Gear – Johnny Cage – Box Office Warrior
- Grand Master Rank: 300 Time Krystals, Gear - Sonya – Mini-Me
- Demi-God Rank: 500 Time Krystals, Gear – Jacqui Briggs - Pridwen BHI8, unlock a skin for Erron Black – Captain Blood
- God Rank: 1,000 Time Krystals, Gear – Cetrion – Gammagen
- Elder God Rank: 2,000 Time Krystals, Gear – Kabal – Albuterol
When the season concludes, all items will be rewarded based on the highest rank achieved, as well as an icon and background to reflect that highest point.
Overall, the rewards for the first season are shaping up to be quite nice. The short season duration of only four weeks feels like the perfect length as well, so long as we do not need to wait long for the next season to begin after. Other games with seasonal journeys or passes can often feel stretched too long, to the point where players become bored and cannot wait for the next one to begin. Diablo 3 and Fortnite do this, often having seasons last three months, and sometimes longer to accommodate events or Public Testing of upcoming balance changes.
With the above rewards looking quite enticing, now is the time to brush up on those skills. Will you be able to crack the highest rank of Demi God for that last skin? One thing is certain, and that is that going forward there will be a bit of an intimidation factor seeing the Erron Black “Captain Blood” skins since they mark a player as having hit the highest ranks in the first season.
An important point that has not yet been addressed by the developers is whether players will have another chance at these rare cosmetics in the future, long after this first Season of Blood has ended. On the one hand, Kompletionists and Kollectors may want another crack at these items, but on the other hand, there is something to be said about putting the work in now for the rewards.
Is it fair to release these cosmetics again later on? Perhaps Mortal Kombat 11 could look to how Fortnite handles the same issue with cosmetic rewards from its earliest seasons. Rather than release a skin from an old season, they often create a new one with slight variations to the style and often a brand new color scheme, allowing players to still acquire a skin that looks like what already exists, but not devalue the work put in by other players.
In any case, that is a concern for the future, for now, players have about four weeks to get in there and Kick some kAss...or something. It is difficult incorporating "k" into every word for the sake of the Mortal Kombat 11 flavor.
Best of luck to all who aim for the top!