Pokémon Sword & Shield recently came out, and with them comes a new competitive scene for players to show who the very best is (like no one ever was!). Players can participate in online ranked matches and climb the competitive ladder by earning points for every win. Once the season ends, players will drop down a tier and must battle their way back to the top. However, there is also going to be an official online tournament next month.
Signups for the official tournament started on the same day the games launched and will continue through Friday, December 5, with the tournament itself starting on December 6 and lasting until December 8. Anyone who wishes to participate in the tournament will need a copy of either Pokémon Sword or Pokémon Shield, as well as a subscription to Nintendo's online service.
There are of course rules that all participants will have to follow:
• All players need to register three to six Pokémon for the tournament. Those Pokémon will then automatically become level 50.
• Legendary Pokémon Zacian, Zamazenta, Mew, along with "some other special Pokémon" will not be allowed to participate.
• Players cannot use multiples of the same Pokémon. On top of that, players will not be able to use the same item more than once. Simply put, it will be impossible for one to stack an entire team of the same Pokémon with each one holding the exact same item.
• Dynamaxing and Gigantamaxing will be allowed, and the effects will last for three turns.
• Players can only participate in 15 battles per day. Since the tournament will last for three days (December 6 to December 8), they will only have a total of 45 battles to reach the top.
Aside from the rules, there will be various rewards. Anyone who participates in the tournament and completes at least one battle resulting in a win or a loss, will be eligible for a 50 Battle Points reward.
Those who wish to give the tournament a try need to enter the VS menu within their game, then select "Online Competitions" and choose "Search Official Competitions" in order to enter.