Red Dead Redemption 2, there are a total of 16 Legendary Animals that can be hunted across the vast landscape. Tracking these rarest of the rare is no easy feat, but doing so can provide powerful Trinkets, along with the ability to craft unique garments. This guide will focus on everything needed to successfully track the Legendary Buck, as well as explain what benefits can be acquired from doing so.
Where to find the Legendary Buck
First, we need to head far, far West, at the base of Mt. Shan, North-West of Strawberry. Note how the marker on the map is directly above the words “Black Bone Forest”, and this fis where we will go.
As with all the other Legendary Animals, they do not appear by chance. Finding them is a deliberate action to show your skills as the greatest hunter.
Before setting out to track the creature, take your best weapons and ammo with the goal of taking down the Legendary Buck quickly. It spooks easily and will sprint at the first sight of you, but you cannot damage Legendary Pelts, meaning that you can go ahead and fire away with little concern. Unlike other animals, the challenge is in locating it after a long track, not a clean kill.
A shotgun could work fine if you can get up close, but the issue is that the Legendary Buck will take off with little notice. Instead a good repeater like the Lancaster is the better choice for quick shots in succession with high-velocity rounds. Using these will a maxed out Dead Eye meter allows you to mark your target enough times to bring it down in one, well-organized attack.
Once you have arrived at the spot shown on the map, activate Eagle Eye and pay attention to the top left of the screen. It should clearly say that you have entered Legendary Animal territory. If not, leave and return to try again. If this is not active, the Legendary Buck will not spawn, and you will wander around aimlessly searching for tracks that do not exist.
Activating Eagle Eye will allow you to observe dropping and tracks belonging to the Legendary Buck. Inspect each and continue, and eventually this method will yield the location of the creature.
I Let the Buck Get Away, Is It Gone Forever?
As mentioned, the Buck will sprint at the first sign of trouble, and not downing it quickly will allow it to leave your sights. If this occurs, you will need to leave, find camp, and rest. It seems that about 72 hours minimum is needed before you can start again.
After a Successful Hunt, Now What?
First you will want to skin the pelt and load it for transport onto your horse, followed by the carcass, which unlike other animals cannot be harvest for its individual parts.
The turn in point for the items is the Emerald Ranch, where we will seek out both the Fence and Trapper.
At the Fence, the Legendary Buck Antler can be traded in for the Buck Antler Trinket, which states “Player Receives Higher Quality Skinned Animal Parts” and is an outstanding benefit for future hunts.
At the Trapper, we will turn in the Legendary Buck Pelt and the Legendary Buck Carcass, which will unlock such crafting garments for The Trophy Buck, Legendary Buck Vest, Legendary Buck & Fox and Range Gloves.
Note that once tracked and successfully hunted, Legendary Animals do not respawn. They are one of a kind and unique.
Other Legendary Animals To Hunt
Finding and hunting the other 15 Legendary Animals is necessary if one wishes to be considered the best hunter in Red Dead Redemption 2, but they are not all as straight forward, and some have Hunting Challenge prerequisites to complete before they become available. Here is a list of each, along with what benefit each provides for you to decide which to next hunt:
- Legendary Bharati Grizzly Bear: Located in Grizzlies East, Ambarino, this dangerous bear will allow players to craft the rare Bear Claw Talisman, the Legendary Bear Head Hat, the Legendary Bear Roper, and the Legendary Bear Coat.
- Bighorn Ram: Located at Cattail Pond, New Hanover, hunting this creature will give the player the opportunity to craft the rare Ram Horn Trinket, the Legendary Ram Batwing Chaps, the Legendary Ram Hat, and the Legendary Ram Rifleman Gloves.
- Legendary White Bison: Located in Lake Isabella, Ambarino, Grizzlies West, this animal will allows players to craft the rare Bison Horn Talisman, the Legendary White Bison Hat, and the Legendary White Bison Coat.
- Legendary Wolf: Located in Grizzlies East, southwest of Wapiti Indian Reservation near the geysers. Hunting this creature will allow players to craft the rare Wolf Heart Trinket, the Legendary Cougar/Wolf Vest and the Legendary Wolf Batwing Chaps.
- Legendary Moose: Located in Roanoke Ridge, west of Willard's Rest on the largest island. Hunting this creature will allow players to craft a rare Moose Antler Trinket, the Legendary Moose Hunting Jacket, and the Legendary Moose Moccasins.
- Legendary Beaver: Located in Elysian Pool, close to the center of Roanoke Ridge, connected to the Kamassa River to the north and south. Hunting this creature will allow players craft the rare Beaver Tooth Trinket, the Legendary Beaver Flop Hat, and the Legendary Beaver Cavalry Gloves.
- Legendary Boar: Located in Bluewater Marsh, northeast of Lagras near the eastern edge of the Kamassa River. This creature will give the player the opportunity to craft the rare Boar Tusk Talisman, the Legendary Boar & Bison Fowlers, and the Legendary Beaver Flop Hat.
- Legendary Coyote: Located in Scarlett Meadows, west of Eris Field. Hunting this creature will allow players to craft the rare Coyote Fang Trinket, the Legendary Coyote Mountain Hat, and the Legendary Coyote Half Chaps.
- Legendary Fox: Located in Scarlett Meadows, south of Hill Haven Ranch. This creature will allow you to craft the Fox Claw Trinket, the Legendary Fox Moccasins, and the Legendary Buck & Fox Range Gloves.
- Legendary Elk: Located in Cumberland Forest, east of Bacchus Station. This creature will allow a player to craft the rare Elk Antler Trinket, Legendary Elk Moccasins, Legendary Elk Half Chaps, and the Legendary Elk Range Gloves.
- Legendary Bullgator: After finishing "That's Murfree Country" in Chapter 4, a player can locate the creature Bayou Nwa, south of Lagras and west of Lakay. It is highly dangerous, but killing it will allow a player to craft the rare Alligator Tooth Talisman, the Legendary Alligator Fowlers, the Legendary Alligator Vest, and the Legendary Alligator Gambler's Hat.
- Legendary Cougar: Located in Gaptooth Ridge, north of Gaptooth Breach. Defeating this creature will allow a player to craft the rare Cougar Fang Trinket, the Legendary Cougar/Wolf Vest, the Legendary Cougar Riding Gloves, and the Legendary Cougar Flop Hat.
- Legendary Pronghorn: Located in Río Bravo, west of Del Lobo Rock. Hunting this creature will allow a player to craft the rare Pronghorn Horn Trinket, the Legendary Pronghorn Coat, and the Legendary Pronghorn Range Gloves.
- Legendary Takana Bison: Located in Hennigan's Stead, southeast of MacFarlane's Ranch. Hunting this creature will allow a player to craft the rare Tatanka Bison Horn Trinket, the Legendary Boar & Bison Fowlers, the Legendary Bison Batwing Chaps, and the Legendary Bison Vest.
- Legendary Giaguaro Panther: Located in Scarlett Meadows, southeast of Bolger Glade, almost to the coast, and Master Hunter Rank 9 is required for the Giaguaro Panther to spawn. Hunting this creature will allow a player to craft a rare Panther's Eye Trinket, the Legendary Panther Cloak, and the Legendary Panther Range Gloves.
Special Thanks to Vhosythe for his clear video on the topic.